School Settlement was organized by teachers and community leaders in 1901 to create positive out-of-school experiences for neighborhood young people, particularly those of recently arrived immigrants. Founding the School Settlement Center was part of a national movement to support children. At its founding, benefactors raised substantial private contributions to build the settlement house at 120 Jackson Street.
Serving our community for over a century is a remarkable achievement that reflects the strength of the Italian-American community’s civic leadership and commitment to enrich the lives of all neighborhood children and their families, especially those of modest means. Italian-American business and civic leaders raised almost all of its funds privately to support the original neighborhood center.